Biased News Story or Not? You Decide!


The following was printed in the Port Smith (Arkansas) Weekly Herald on August 3, 1867.




On Saturday last a shocking and most brutal murder was committed in Paint Rock settlement, which for brutally and fiendishness surpasses anything of the kind that we have ever been called upon to chronicle.


It appears that a Mrs. Hicks and her two step-daughters, named respectively Mary and Kaziah, had for some time lived unpleasantly together, when the two daughters determined to put her out of the way.  Accordingly, with the monstrous intent, they forcibly conveyed their unfortunate victim to the smokehouse nearby, and commenced a series of tortures that even the veriest savage would have shrunk back from and grown hideous at-such was the enormity of their barbarity and wickedness. They first attempted to strangle their victim to death; but failing in that, these fiends in human shape bethought themselves of a more refined, as well as expeditious mode of accomplishing their object, which was to pour melted lead in the ear of their helpless victim, and then to make assurance doubly sure, these devoted daughters struck the prostrate and dying woman several blows on the head with an axe.


Supposing the old lady dead or dying—having finished the “job” these Christian daughters left their mother weltering in her blood and went to church. Some of the neighbors soon after coming in found Mrs. Hicks in the condition the daughters left her, administered restoratives and revived her sufficiently to relate the above detailed facts.


We learn that Mrs. Hicks has since died of her injuries, and that the murderers are still at large, having secreted themselves so as to prevent the officers of the law from arresting them.


This story was printed in The New York Times in February 1972.



A 14 year old youth was stabbed yesterday evening as he and four friends resisted an attempted robbery by five other youths at a platform on the Chamber Street IRT subway station, the police reported.


The police said the youth, identified as Michael Paulk, of 44 Second Avenue, had been walking through the station at about 6 p.m. with two male and two female friends when a group of five male youths stopped them and demanded money.


When the first group refused, the police said, one of the assailants grabbed a paper bag from one of the youths he was confronting. The first group started to flee, the police said, and one of them turned and saw that the young Paulk boy had been stabbed. HE was taken to Beekman Downtown Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.